Friday, November 19, 2010

It's been a while.....

Yeah I know it's been a while. I should keep this up more than I have been so here's something that I wanted to share. Long story short, you already know that I go to the gym rather regularly, heck I'm a bodybuilder in case you hadn't noticed from my pic. I was on Facebook the other day and one of my 'likes', a female that works in the fitness industry, posted a note on her wall about the gym and dating. I wrote a short blurb sharing my views and I received and email from a woman on Facebook that read my comment. Here is the chain.

I saw you posting on Jamies wall, you sound just like me. I honestly feel like it will never happen, meeting the right person. But I do, don't go out on friday and saturday nights, the gym is where I end up. And there are quite a few guys in there, but where do you draw the line. I'm there to work out, not get a date. But I see mostly the same people there and we obviously share a passion of staying fit and healthy. Nice picture by the way.
Holly


Here was my response.
Thanks for the note. Yes it is a conundrum, trying to meet people at the gym. I did a talk show with Jamie not too long ago and it was on that exact topic. Jamie's viewpoint was that she was at the gym for her job and that she was not a good idea to meet people at the gym. She has a focussed goal in mind and that is to stay employed. Her other point was also what happens if you break up, wouldn't that be awkward, almost to the point that one would have to find a new gym to go to.My viewpoint on dating people from the gym was coming from the regular person that's not doing it for a living. We use the gym as much as social environment almost as much as we use it to stay in shape. As far as the 'if's' are concerned, I try not to dwell on things that haven't happened yet and try to live for the now.
Not long ago I picked up a copy of The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I haven't finished reading it yet but the general gist of the book that I am getting is time is finite. You only have a certain amount of time and no one knows how much we have. Bottom line is use every minute you have doing what you want to do and not wasting it. Go out and get what it is you want from life rather than accepting whatever falls in your lap. With that in mind, approaching people at the gym for the means of starting a relationship could mean a whole new life filled with something amazing. I don't think I could let that chance slip away because I was either afraid of rejection or for fear of annoying someone.
PS. Thanks for the compliments on my pic.
It's reassuring to hear that I am not the only one that had reservations. That there are women out there that are open to men approaching them at the gym and also women that will approach men. As I said in my message back to her, my viewpoint has changed in that there's a lot to loose out on if you don't take a chance sometimes. As Arnold said it, "you won't know if you can squat 500lbs unless you are willing to fail, those that  accept failure but do it anyway are the ones that succeed".

So, do you go to the gym? What is your viewpoint?

PS; Yes, I have the same Blogger pic on my Facebook page as well.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment